Saturday 16 March 2013

Sue's Box


 Just after Christmas a lovely lady called Sue gave me a box to look at that she had, she wondered if I would be able to make one like it, as the one she had was a factory made one, so better late than never are my instructions on how to make Sue's box.
It is big enough to hold five 3"x 3" cards, or an edible goody, I'm thinking chocolate would be good.
Start with  a square of card measuring 5 7/8" x 5 7/8", score all four side at 1", fold along the score lines then cut as shown on two opposite sides.
Put glue on the underside of the tabs and fold in and the sides up to make a box.
Next take a piece of card measuring 11 7/8" x 3 11/16", score from the left hand edge at 2 1/2", 3 1/2", 7" and 8". This makes the wrap around cover. 
On one short end measure down and mark 1 1/2" from the top, then measure and mark 1" along  both long sides. Join the marks up and cut off the outside bits. 
Now place the box on the cover, do not glue in place yet, the box may fit better one way, so twist it round until you are happy. Next punch two holes one about  1 cm in from the point and  one on the flap, this is where the ribbon is threaded through to keep the box tied up. I measured 1 cm down from the point when the box was closed to get the second hole, you may need to trim a slither off the large flap so it sits together nicely. The box still is not glued to the cover.
 I then took two pieces of ribbon knotted one end on each bit and poked it through the holes.
Next I inked all round the edges of the box and cover then finally attached the box to the cover. I attached the base and two sides of the box to the cover.
Finally I decorated the the flap that folds inside, the pointed flap and the outside edges .
I used a doily punch to make the lace which I then inked. The mini tags are punched from card covered in washi tape then also inked. I found it easiest to attach the strip of ribbon with skinny red tape after I had threaded the tags on it.
As I said at the start, this box will hold five mini cards, as yet I have not decorated my cards but when I have I will share them with you.
I hope this all makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment